Subject: ifconfig and aliases
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/20/1999 00:54:10
Today I had the unfortunate displeasure of discovering how IP aliases
attempt to work within NetBSD.  I'm not sure where the problems actually
are, yet, but this is an extract of my experiences:

- configuring aliases for interfaces.  The method `supported' by netstart
  is unsatisfactory if you wish to configure more than one interface.

- the method suggested in netstart for setting the netmask does not work.
  If I have an interface setup as 192.168.1.1/29 and add an alias, the
  netmask does not appear to be applied, instead a /24 (class C) netmask
  is applied to the alias.  Perhaps ifconfig should do a `head -1' of
  /etc/ifconfig.ifname to set initial options with a loop processing the
  rest of the file (if any).

- when setting an IP address alias on an interface where the IP number
  falls inside the network for the interface, ifconfig prints out an
  error ("ifconfig: SIOCAIFADDR: File exists") but sets it up anyway.

- ifconfig should be capable of setting netmasks without needing the
  "inet" portion of the command line syntax present.

How much of the above is deliberate and if it is, can I bite those who
decreed that it should be that way ? >:>

Cheers,
Darren