Subject: Re: older fxp's and kern/7567
To: John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/09/1999 09:52:24
John Darrow <John.P.Darrow@wheaton.edu> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to look at kern/7567, regarding
> older Intel EtherExpress cards not working above 10/HDX.  We've got a number
> of said cards around.  Many are in servers running pre-1.4 versions of
> netbsd which we would like to upgrade, but can't until this problem is
> fixed.
>
> Specifically, the problem hits the older cards with 82557 chips and nsphys,
> and doesn't affect the newer cards with 82558/9 chips and inphys.  The older
> cards also seem to work fine with 1.3-branch netbsd, before the newer phy
> stuff went in.

I have cards like these:

  fxp1 at pci0 dev 20 function 0: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10+/100B Ethernet
  inphy1 at fxp1 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
  inphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

These cards also have problems at > 10Mbps, in that if I set them to
10Mbps they seem to switch to full duplex (but not know they did, so
packets are dropped and/or retransmitted) or something strange.

--Michael