Subject: Re: paper on improving Webserver performance
To: Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
From: Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/08/1999 02:05:39
In some email I received from Mohit Aron, sie wrote:
[...]
> 2) The paper anyway suggests putting a minimum bound of 200ms on the timeout
>    because the ACKs might be delayed by that amount. Since most RTTs are well
>    smaller than this
[...]

I assume you're excluding anything which might be intercontinental,
travelling distances like that of the Pacific rim where RTT is not
often below 300.  Also consider people are now starting to use
satellites for the "back channel" which is, to me, heading back to
the days when ping times of < 650ms were *excellent*.

Darren