Subject: Re: Bridging/Routing under NetBSD 1.4
To: Chuck Shotton <cshotton@biap.com>
From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/31/1999 00:35:09
At 11:48 AM 5/30/99 -0400, Chuck Shotton wrote:
>About a month ago, there was a brief discussion on how to implement a
>protocol agnostic bridge with NetBSD. Unfortunately, there was a lot of
>discussion about what a bridge was, but nothing about whether or not this
>can be done with NetBSD. There were hints at doing this with bpf somehow,
>but a search of all the mailing list archives, FAQs, etc. have turned up
>very little on the subjets of routing and bridging with NetBSD.
>
>The short question is, how can I set up a bridge with NetBSD between two
>physical nets that passes all ethernet traffic between the two nets?
>
>If there's not a FAQ on this subject, I'll be glad to consolidate
>everyones' input on the subject and create one if there is actually a
>solution.

we have implemented one in FreeBSD for use with our bandwidth
manager.....and there is code in the FreeBSD tree (not ours, an internal
implementation) that should prove useful to your project. Its messy to
implement in in the reguar networking code, but it can be done with some
patches. The biggest obstacles are

1) ARPs - you have to fix these to be system generic rather than interface
specific
2) Ethernet Drivers - Some have code that check the ethernet address if
promiscuous mode is set, which has to be eliminated.

Dennis

Dennis

http://www.etinc.com
T1/T3 boards for FreeBSD and Linux
ET/BWMGR Bandwidth Manage for FreeBSD,BSD/OS
ET/BWMGR now available for LINUX also