Subject: Re: Changes to link layer input routines
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/15/1999 10:55:56
On Sat, 15 May 1999 19:46:49 +0200 (MET DST)
 Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> wrote:

 > > 	(3) The VAX Unibus and Q-bus Ethernet drivers confused the h*ll
 > > 	    out of me, and I didn't even try to clean up the way they
 > > 	    use separate Unibus mapping registers for the Ethernet header
 > > 	    and the actual packet.  (Wacky, it's not like they even support
 > > 	    trailers in the driver!)
 > >
 > Don't care so much about that; I'm going to change a lot of the uba
 > mapping code. Welcome, bus_dma :-)

Excellent!  Are you going to model it after the Alpha SGMAP code?  :-)

 > About trailers: A fast check shows that someone was cleaning up the
 > code maybe a little bit too much a while ago (Hey, Charles :-)
 >
 > cvs log if_uba.c
 > revision 1.5
 > date: 1995/04/11 06:16:38;  author: mycroft;  state: Exp;  lines: +3 -15
 > Sync with the rest of the world.  Say goodbye to Mr. Trailer.

Ah!  Okay, this is nice.  I think we should change ether_ifattach() to
simply set IFF_NOTRAILERS everywhere, then.  I mean, it's not like anyone
USES trailers anymore :-)  And, really, no other Ethernet interfaces
would support them (that I know of).