Subject: Re: Userspace ppp (Was: Re: Ongoing projects)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 17:21:25
On 7 May 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> I've asked several times, and you haven't answered: What is it that
> this userland PPP does that our kernel version does not do? You keep
> saying "compression" but we have compression. What is different here?

Well, the one thing I see that I'd really like is multilink PPP support.
However, I don't really like the idea of userland PPP (at least not on
my internet gateway machine, which is a 8MB 386/33), 'cuz it'd probably
be rather slow. I tried iij-ppp for a while when my machine was a 4MB
386/25, and paging (which as you can imagine, happened often :) killed
PPP performance. Getting MP into our pppd would be way cool :)
(especially if there were some hooks for fancy channel allocation...
what I'd like is to dial on demand to two different sites, with each
site being able to use up to two ISDN channels, assuming there are
enough channels available. I.e. if I start a large ftp through ppp0,
it'll use two channels, but then if I telnet through ppp1, it'll drop
one channel from ppp0 and use it to connect to ppp1). Right now, I just
have one channel to ppp0 and one to ppp1, which works fine, except I
can't get 128Kb connections.