Subject: Re: Ongoing projects
To: Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/07/1999 16:35:08
Andy Doran <ad@fionn.sports.gov.uk> writes:
> When I'm at home, downloading mail, source, html or other compressible
> mediums with ppp(8) usually always gets me a peak of 15kB/s with a 33600
> baud modem. Depending on the content, that goes as high as 90kB/s. That's
> with two machines running ppp(8) linked. I don't see that with one side
> using pppd.
>
> However, since this idea has been shot down, interested parties can get it
> from www.afulhak.org once the final set of NetBSD patches are intergrated.

It hasn't been "shot down". You've failed to justify having this in
userland. The same results are trivially achieved in the kernel.

The protocols are documented. We have compression/decompression
infrastructure already for PPP in the kernel, and several kinds of
algorithms. Just say what we are missing, and we can implement it.

Perry