Subject: Re: Nway negotiation with an Ethernet switch
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/04/1999 16:21:43
OK, to summarize, Nway negotiation must be done in hardware, and the best
we can do in software is detect state after negotiation, or force state.

This then begs the question, which of the chips that we support do Nway,
and which do not?

Part of what puzzles me is that the SRM on my DS3305 (with DE500 cards,
21143 chips) appears to get Nway wrong - when "ewa0_mode" is set to "auto"
my switch claims that the card negotiates 100base-T OK, but not FDX, and
when NetBSD gets control, it renegotiates and gets 10base-T HDX (even
worse!). Ooops. My switch is a Dlink DSS-8; I've also bought some Asante
10/100 PCI I/F's (21141's) for my Macintoshes, and they get it right,
immediately.

Assuming the DE500 with the 21143 is Nway capable, what is SRM (and NetBSD)
doing wrong?

	'tis a puzzlement!

	Erik