Subject: Re: "arp -s ... pub" hangs the ARP subsystem?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/29/1999 17:10:23
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Todd Vierling wrote:

: and the entry is NOT added to the ARP table as revealed by "arp -an".  The
: second time I attempt it, the entry is added to the table ... but now
: the NetBSD machine has stopped responding to any ARP requests at all.

...And I get a very interesting message:

   arpresolve: unresolved and rt_expire == 0

which, in sys/netinet/if_arp.c, is "not supposed to happen" (but doesn't
panic the machine; it's just a diagnostic check in #ifdef DIAGNOSTIC).

Networking gurus - how does this happen?  :)