Subject: Re: R: DNS questions
To: andrea <andrea.franceschini@linet.it>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/12/1999 09:47:50
On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, andrea wrote:

> Ok, but what happens if  there isn't any  ORIGIN statement ?

Then you need to specify the entire FQDN

> And ,Let imagine that we have a full Class C Address-pool.
> We assign this Pool to 2 different ISP (0-63) (64 - 127) the remains are
> assigned to us (128 - 255).
> Each ISP has his own NameServer.

Well, this one is more difficult.  Basically, someone who has been
delegated the entire Class C address space (ie, yyy.xxx.194.in-addr.arpa.)
has to delegate the pieces.  For example, ISP1 would delegate one piece
to ISP2.  Then ISP1 would provide PTR records for its own portion of the
address space, and CNAMES for ISP2's portion:

	# ISP 1 addresses
	1	IN PTR a1.ISP1.com.
	62	IN PTR a62.ISP1.com.

	# ISP 2 addresses

	64	IN SOA ... (to delegate 64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa.)

	65	IN CNAME 65.64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa.
	126	IN CNAME 126.64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa.

And then, ISP 2 defines the PTRs that the CNAMEs point to:

	ORIGIN 64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa.
	65	IN PTR 65.ISP2.com.
	126	IN PTR 126.ISP2.com.

There's an RFC on how to do this, but I don't have the number off the
top of my head.

> when we need to translate an address from 129 to 254 we use our nameserver
> and we can use something as follow in our
> name server:
>
> primary  yyy.xxx.194.in-addr.arpa.            yyy.xxx.194.dns
>
> So our named  Daemon expect to find all reverse-mapping  for 194.xxx.yyy.0
> subnet in  the file yyy.xxx.194.dns.
>
> But what happens when is required to map an address outside our netmask (i.e
> 194.xxx.yyy.62 that is assigned to 1 ISP).?
> Local named still belive to find the records in yyy.xxx.194.dns.
> Now if i understand correctly me must add  the following lines to
> yyy.xxx.194.dns file
>
> 0.yyy.xxx.194.in-addr.arpa    IN    NS     ns.firstisp.dns.
> 64.yyy.xxx.194.in-addr.arpa    IN    NS    ns.secondisp.dns.
>
> And
>
> At First ISP:
> named.boot:
>
> primary 0.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa            0.yyy.xxx.dns
>
> 0.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa:
> 1            IN         PTR            host1.firstisp.dns
> 63            IN        PTR            host63.firstisp.dns
>
> At Second ISP:
>
> named.boot:
> primary 64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa            64.yyy.xxx.dns
>
> 64.yyy.xxx.in-addr.arpa:
> 65            IN         PTR            host65.secondisp.dns
> 126            IN        PTR            host126.secondisp.dns
>

> May this config work?
> If not, what is the correct configuration? and where's wrong?
> Thanks!

| Paul Goyette      | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:   | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer  |   BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker |   91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |