Subject: Re: weird network delays connecting to cable provider's servers...
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Stefan Grefen <grefen@hprc.tandem.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/07/1999 13:50:37
In message <199904070817.SAA06783@wombat.cs.rmit.edu.au>  Luke Mewburn wrote:
> "Kevin M. Lahey" writes:
> > In message <1396.923406158@hrriss.hprc.tandem.com>Stefan Grefen writes
> > Gosh, the last big dust-up I remember was about advertised MSSes...
> > My first thought, without a whole lot of analysis, is that we shouldn't
> > be sending all of those dup ACKs, but that the other side certainly
> > shouldn't be barfing quite so badly on them.  What OS is m3 running!?
> > How up to date is the NetBSD system?
>
> m3 is running HP/UX I believe. I tried the NetBSD box with a 1.4A (i.e
> current) kernel, and had the same problem...

I've just testit against an HP/UX 10.10 system (local ethernet).
The HP machine accepts the non-full window acks also.

Do you know which OS version they have ?

Try turning of the timestamps. HP uses them but drops ack only packets
if the timestamp didn't increase since the last ack.

> I might try a 1.3.3 kernel. A friend has a similar setup (to the same
> cable ISP) using NetBSD/sparc 1.3.3 and I'll see if he gets the same
> problem or not.

Stefan

--
Stefan Grefen                                Tantau Software International Inc.
grefen@hprc.tandem.com                       stefan.grefen@tantau.de