Subject: Re: Compaq NetFlex 3/P
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@qut.edu.au>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/29/1999 16:24:36
On Mar 29, Gregory McGarry wrote
> G'day,
>
> With recent (26/3) changes to the ThunderLAN (tl) attach code, I can get a
> Compaq NetFlex 3/P board to probe successfully.  The board uses LXT901PC
> and DP8392CV-1 line driver chips for 10baseT and 10base5 respectively.
> These aren't PHYs, so the the board must be wired to use the internal
> PHY.  It should be located at PHY no. 31 according to the ThunderLAN
> Programmer's Guide, shouldn't it?

Yes.

> Well, the internal PHY isn't being found.
>
> Since this board hasn't been used with the tl driver before, I wonder
> whether anyone has had the internal PHY on the ThunderLAN working.

I do. I just tried with a -current kernel. This was on a deskpro 5000, here
the 1.3.3 dmesg (the original thunderlan and MII drivers where developed on
this machine):
tl0 at pci1 dev 11 function 0
tl0: Compaq ProLiant Integrated Netelligent 10/100 TX
tl0: Ethernet address 00:80:5f:a6:ed:35
tl0: interrupting at irq 10
mii0 at tl0
nsphy0 at mii0 dev 1: 10baseT(full duplex)/100baseTx(full duplex)
tlphy0 at mii0 dev 31: BNC

> Although I haven't looked into the MII code deeply, I don't think the
> delays recommended in the ThunderLAN Programmer's Guide are present.
> Perhaps the internal PHY isn't being reset correctly?

Can you try to add the delays ?
I seem to remember someone said that he had to suppress the reset code to get
his NetFlex 3/P working. Maybe you could try this ?