Subject: Re: Interface specification in route(8)
To: Kevin M. Lahey <kml@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/23/1999 05:57:12
According to Kevin M. Lahey:
> >> ppp0  1500  192.168.30.16 192.168.30.22        12758     0    12568     0
> >

> Hmmm.  Could you get it to work by adding the default route before
> cranking up the ppp?  Once it knows what interface to go out, I don't
> think it'll get confused by the routing table.   That said, why is the
> subnet on the ppp link so big?  I'm confused...

That's an interesting approach, although trying it from the remote side
of the ppp link sounds quite adventurous :-)

The reason the ppp link has such a strange definition is that I have
omitted giving it its own IP number, so it adopts the one that's
already assigned.  That issue arose on this forum before and it sounded
like a valid alternative to unnumbered links.  It does seem to have
some drawbacks, however :-)

++L