Subject: Re: IEEE802.3 support ??
To: Justin C. Walker <justin@apple.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/18/1999 21:51:30
>Probably, today, it's anyone's guess.  IP is almost exclusively V2
>on ethernet (except for some legacy gear from HP and compatible
>implementations).  AppleTalk uses 802.2 exclusively.  Then there's
>IPX, which, as I understand it, can use any of a handful of
>mechanisms from V2, 802.2 (with and without SNAP headers, ...).  I'd
>expect that IP is generally the lion's share, but it really depends
>on the installation.

this seems like a similar complaint to something i observed a few
years ago with netbsd 1.1 or 1.2 (i can't exactly recall).  someone on
my lan had a mac that had 802.3 checked in the tcp setup control panel
(or whatever it's called) and it couldn't talk to anything else (which
was mostly netbsd).

i unchecked the box and all was fine again.  but it'd be nice if (a)
netbsd could detect such things and even (b) remember them so that it
knew to talk to such hosts using the different wire format.  there's
no reason that ip can't be put into 802.3 packets...except that then
some things can't hear it.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|