Subject: Re: 3c905b Ethernet Cards
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/17/1999 10:27:20
On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 12:22:19PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 17, 1999 at 11:58:25AM +0100, sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > If the fxp driver seems to be "slow as hell", I'd suggest there's
> > something else which is wrong with your system.
>
> Definitely not for two reasons:
> 1.) Christian Hopps had the same problems when he replaced a Tulip board
>     with an Intel board.

"The same problems"?

How can you be willing to claim that there's some generic driver issue
(which is contraindicated by the experience of many other users) based on
such vague descriptions as "slow as hell" and "the same problems".

> 2.) I only replaced my Compaq Neteligent by a newer Intel chipset based
>     Compaq networking card. Everything else (cable, HUB, local machine,
>     remote machine) stayed as it was. But the transfer speed dropped
>     from over 9.5MB/Sec to about 0.95MB/Sec.

Uh -- are you *sure* the devices at both end of the link agreed that
it was 100baseTX, and that they both had the same duplex setting?  The
fxp cards have a different PHY than the compaq cards (or the DEC cards)
and duplex negotiation problems between some PHYs and some switches
are very common, leading to almost exactly the type of performance you
describe above.

Hard-wire both ends to 100baseTX and full-duplex and see what happens.