Subject: Re: dhclient in rc*/netstart
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio de Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/27/1999 07:14:10
*** please followup to tech-userlevel ***
According to Michael C. Richardson:

>   I prefer that you simply create /var/db on your writeable root either
> put a symlink there, and NFS mount whatever you need either on top of /var,
> or on its subdirectories. If you need to, you could also just restart
> dhclient after you have mount /var.

In this context, would it not be advisable to fragment rc.* and other
initial configuration procedures into segments appropriate to each
filesystem mounted, so that it is easier to make sure that
prerequisites are met before they execute?

It is tempting to suggest including such scripts in an FSTAB that in
turn distinguishes between init-time mounts and other times.  I would
suggest reversing the "noauto" option and make it something like:

	init:<script>
or	auto:<script>

where script can arbitrarily live in any currently mounted filesystem.

Also, remounting the filesystem at a later stage could safely ignore
the "init" option.

Is this unreasonable?  Have I missed some important aspect?

++L