Subject: Re: dhclient in rc*/netstart
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@mediator.uni-c.dk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/26/1999 14:14:16
On Jan 26, Erik Bertelsen wrote
> [...]
>
> Well, maybe there is still something to think about: How set the hostname?

You can do it 2 ways (or maybe more): one you've got an address, do a reverse
DNS lookup to get the host name (I've done this for diskless sparcs, which
have a shared read-only /). The second way is to get the dhcp server send a
host nane along with the ip addr. For this you need to setup dhcpd.conf
with fixed entries per hardware adresses, to require hostname in dhclient.conf
and to handle it in dhclient-script. I've done this for a setup where I
installed 15 machines by dd'ing a disk image to /dev/rwd0d. At first boot
from hard disk the machine would get a static ip addr and host name from the
server, and fill in /etc/myname and /etc/ifconfig.xxx accordingly.