Subject: pppd's routes aren't getting created reliably
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Jones <cjones@rupert.honors.montana.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/04/1998 12:47:47
I've got a Win95 box (cricket) which connects to a NetBSD box (finn)
via PPP.  Sometimes, when cricket connects, pppd on finn adds a host
route pointing out the ppp0 interface, and all is well.  Other times,
a route on fxp0 appears to already exist (cloned from the default
route), and pppd doesn't get that ppp0 route added.  As a result,
cricket can talk to finn, but finn can't respond.

The IP that cricket has is within the local subnet for finn, which I
imagine is a complicating factor.

I've tried putting this in my /etc/ppp/ip-up on finn:
route delete cricket
route add -interface ppp0 cricket finn

But that doesn't work.  For that matter, running those commands
manually doesn't work; the second one says, "ppp0: bad value".

So, does anybody know how I can get this to work reliably?  Thanks in
advance.

Chris

--
Chris Jones                                          cjones@honors.montana.edu