Subject: Re: SOLVED! The cause of puzzling TCP (eg. WHOIS) connection failures with some InterNIC.net hosts
To: None <perry@piermont.com>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/21/1998 23:35:11
    Date:        Sat, 21 Nov 1998 07:24:04 -0500
    From:        "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>

  | This totally violates the required behavior of routers. It is a
  | bad idea.

Agreed, but as no-one is realistically going to implement that suggestion
it probably isn't worth getting worried about (anyone who seriously tried
would find themselves mired in a mess they would soon squirm out from under).

  | Among other things, it probably breaks path MTU discovery.

I thought that was the idea ... that is, PMTU discovery breaks in the
presence of broken firewalls, so rather than fix the firewalls (or just
tell people affected to disable pmtu discovery) the idea is to "fix"
pmtu discovery by pretending that the MTU is as big as the sending host
wants to make it, and improsing fragmentation (which the sending host is
attempting to avoid).

kre