Subject: Re: ip masquerading?
To: phil freeman <freeman@lbpc.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/21/1998 22:59:16
On Wed, Oct 21, 1998 at 12:56:24PM -0500, phil freeman wrote:
> i have a cable modem and used to run linux to masquerade my internal
> network. recently i purchased a DEC alpha station and have installed
> netbsd on it. i would like to set it up as my gateway. is this possible
> under netbsd... some specs:
> 	running netbsd 1.3.2
> 	233mhz 32 megs ram.
> 	two nics (3com and dec, both working)
> 	scsi, etc....
> hmm, i hope i'm posting this in the right list...

Surely.

Bug: what Linuxers call "IP Masquerading" is called by the rest of
the world, including IP protocol standard documents, "IP Network
Address Translation" or NAT. Its supported as part of the "ipfilter"
package which is integrated with NetBSD-1.3.x. Read the manual
pages (ipftest(1), mkfilters(1), ipf(4),  ipl(4),  ipf(5),
ipfstat(8), ipmon(8), ipnat(8), ipfilter(4)) and example config
files (in /usr/share/examples/ipf) for more information.

Regards,
	-is