Subject: Re: New gre interface
To: Andrew Brown <twofsonet@graffiti.com>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/24/1998 13:07:23
On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 12:03:33PM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> so...(feeling a little foolish) does this accomplish anything that
> couldn't be done using tun0 and a suitable userspace daemon?

Dunno :-)

> what's the difference?

As I understand it, tun gives you byte by byte, while in the (kernel)
gre interface, the interface gets a L3 packet in a (list of) mbuf(s)
where the encapsulation is more or less easily done. While with tun,
you have to scan for packet boundaries yourself.

I see tun more as interface to implement e.g. userland ppp. I also
don't know about performance.

--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
Bloss weil Du den Source von Deinem Betriebssystem hast, entbindet