Subject: Re: New sysctl "net.listen_backlog"?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/14/1998 19:20:18
>I would add support in for sominconn (as per Matt Thomas) and pick

The listen(fd, 1) case needs to be special: see ftp and ftpd source.
listen(fd, X) for X <= 0 should be treated as per current practice.
Otherwise, sold.

>and pick good names for the options and sysctls and I can support the
>proposal.

how about this:
sysctl names:
	net.socket.listenq_min
	net.socket.listenq_max
	    (anything else in the socket layer itself that's sysctlable?)

kernel variables holding the valuse:
	sominconn
	somaxconn

CPP/option names for the boot-time default values for so{min,max}conn:
	SOMINCONN_DEFAULT	(defaults to 5? 10?)
	SOMAXCONN_DEFAULT	(defaults to 128)

BTW, this  has the nice side-effect that changing "most" daemons to do

	listen(fd, 0)

gives them a backlog of whatever sominconn is, and we can bump that
value in one place.  Nice.