Subject: Re: New sysctl "net.listen_backlog"?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/14/1998 18:28:17
>Let me rehash so there's no confusion about what I've been saying:
>
>- SOMAXCONN = INT_MAX to request the highest value the kernel allows
>  (listen(2) will shrink to fit WITHOUT error)
>- the limit in-kernel, before changing by sysctl, defaults to 128
>  (or a compile-time option, if specified)
>- admin can change the in-kernel limit via sysctl to anything up to INT_MAX
>
>If the admin shoots himself in the foot in the third part above, he shoots
>himself in the foot; we shouldn't try to figure out a "sane" value there.

Sure. I'm just observing we need  the second part.

I think we have this beaten to death now, except for  sominconn.

I still don't like Perry's suggestion of leaving SOMAXCONN at 128 and
using Matt/DU's sominconn as the way to get round it. What I dont like
is the effect of sominconn on apps that really are single-connection
apps (like ftptd opening a passive-FTP socket) which specify a backlog
of 1.  Otherwise, I like  sominconn. Comments from the Macadamia stalls?