Subject: Re: New sysctl "net.listen_backlog"?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/14/1998 20:10:38
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

: > The default shouldn't be as high as 128, IMHO.  If this was increased to
: > make the relevant server people happy, it should be brought back down to 16
: > or so once a knob is in place because of what I describe below.
:
: Why? Solaris does it at 128.

This I didn't realize.  Well, I suppose I can leave it this way.

Now, what about an "options LISTEN_BACKLOG" to set a compile-time default,
in the same way that DDB_ONPANIC sets the switch at compile time?  (If
nonexistent, the option would of course default to 128.)

And, what should the hard limit be--that even sysctl() can not go above?
(This will become the value of SOMAXCONN such that programs using the
macro will gain the higher limits without recompiling.)