Subject: Re: How to add if-IOCTL?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/06/1998 21:26:08
On Wed, Aug 06, 1997 at 10:47:35AM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I think what you need to do is bind a socket to that interface (I'm not
> exactly sure how to do this) and then do the ioctl.

Hm? I have defined an ioctl like this:

#define LODEBUG        _IOW('t', 100 , int)

When I add a 'case LODEBUG:' to the ioctl switch(), then
I can pass e.g.

                err=ioctl(s,SIOCSIFDSTADDR,(caddr_t)&ifr);
successfully, but not
                err=ioctl(s,LODEBUG,(caddr_t)&ifr);

Here I get a 'Operation not supported' and also a printf() within
the loioctl does not get printed. This makes me think that there
must be some place in the kernel that decides if such an ioctl is
passed down to a driver or not.

> You realize that the argument passed to the ioctl, the ifreq structure
> in your example above, is an argument for the ioctl routine? I.E. your

Yes, sure.

> I think the only file which will need changing is net/if_loop.c, in its
> ioctl processing routine.

This is what I also thought ;-)

> Right. Network interfaces don't have /def/ files, which is really only
> a problem if you want to do something to the interface and not the
> communications flowing through it.

Hmmm. SIOCSIFADDR also does something to the interface and not to the
data that is flowing through.

> _IOR ioctls only pass in arguments, _IOW ones pass out arguments, and
> _IOWR ones pass both in and out arguments.

Ok, thanks.

Now that I look at it again ..

I did

#define LODEBUG        _IOW('t', 100 , int)

where the 't', I have seen (i think) with th if_tun driver.
But the the other ones from sys/sockio.h that deal with an
interface either have a 'i' or a 'u'. Will try it with 'i' and/or 'u'.
Is there any documentation about that?

Thanks.
   Heiko

--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
Koennen wir jetzt die Prinzipienreiterei lassen und uns wieder den