Subject: How to add if-IOCTL?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/06/1998 10:50:30
Hi,

I am not sure, if I am right on tech-net ...

suppose, I want to add an IOCTL to e.g. enable debuggin of interface
lo0. (e.g.   ioctl(s,DEBUGLO0,(struct ifreq *)), where the struct
ifreq * contians as name field "lo0".

What is there needed at what part of the kernel(-source) to add this new
DEBUGLO0 ioctl to allow if_loop.c in its loioctl() routine to use
this new one?

And no, I don't want to install some /dev/<if> devices and use these
for communication if not absolutely necessary (which shold not be in
my understanding).

Why are some of the get-ioctls in sys/sockio.h modelled as _IOR()
and others as _IOWR() (SIOCGETVIFCNT vs SIOCGPGRP)?

Thanks
  Heiko

--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
In an advertisement by a Hong Kong dentist:  Teeth extrcted by the

-----End of forwarded message-----

--
          See <a href="http://www.netbsd.org">NetBSD</a> for a multiplatform OS
wunderwunderschoen verabreitet, alle Schweissnaete und Gussteile sind zum