Subject: Re: Keepalives
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/29/1998 15:44:57
>> What I did is I added sysctls under net.inet.tcp: keepidle,
>> keepintvl, and slowhz.  [...]

> Could you quote the section of the RFC so we know what the
> requirements are and can judge how well the solution fits them?

RFC 1122:

         4.2.3.6  TCP Keep-Alives

            Implementors MAY include "keep-alives" in their TCP
            implementations, although this practice is not universally
            accepted.  If keep-alives are included, the application MUST
            be able to turn them on or off for each TCP connection, and
            they MUST default to off.

            Keep-alive packets MUST only be sent when no data or
            acknowledgement packets have been received for the
            connection within an interval.  This interval MUST be
            configurable and MUST default to no less than two hours.

I find no requirement that anything else about keepalives be
configurable; the rest of what I'm suggesting is just "it seems good to
me" stuff (actually, for one of "my" machines, "I need it" stuff).

> Also, do you have your patches available for inspection?

Not presently.  (As those who read port-sparc may remember, I'm
currently trying to push one of "my" machines to -current, and this is
part of why.)

I've started the process of extracting the relevant patches from my
patch tree and will send another note here once I've dropped them on
zhadum.  Thanks for the reminder that doing that would be a Good Thing.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca