Subject: Re: perhaps time to check our TCP against spec?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/07/1998 20:44:09
Jason Thorpe writes:

>There are, to my knowledge, no behaviors in NetBSD's TCP which will cause
>it to not interoperate with any other TCP implementation (unless, of course,
>that other TCP has serious bugs which cause it to have interoperability
>problems, but I think that goes without saying).

Here's one case: Please try using a Metricom radio and the STRIP
driver, attached to a machine with an Ethernet interface, and running
with the in_maxmtu software.

Try telnet performance and see what the peformance is like at
transferring large packets -- say, reading email.

Compare and contrast to the old, non-in_maxmtu code.

> If the answer is Yes, then I think we have an issue that must be dealt with
The  answer in the above case is Yes.  I think that must be dealt with.