Subject: Re: Applications based on ISO OSI stack
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/25/1998 21:53:34
Hi Manish,

> Hi,
>
> I have configured two NetBSD v1.3 machines in TCP/IP as well as OSI topology (I have assigned different NSAP addresses (along with IP addresses) to both the machines using 'ifconfig' command's 'iso' option).
>
> I need to know if there are any applications (available either with the NetBSD distribution or somewhere on the Internet) which use the OSI stack similar to applications such as FTP, Telnet which use TCP/IP stack. In short I need applications which implement OSI 'Application' layer protocols such as FTAM, VT, HMS etc.

The only freely available OSI applications that I am aware of are included in
the ISODE package.  This is a set of libraries and example code for all the
layers up to layer 7, including FTAM and VT. If you build it using the BSD 4.4
config it will use the OSI network layer in NetBSD. The last public release
of ISODE was 8.0, I don't have a URL to hand but an archie or web search
should find it. You will also need the documentation pack, the 8.0 release
only included a small set of updates so you also need to get the full set
from the previous release, which I think was 7.1. BTW, the documentation is
very extensive, a fast printer and a big box of paper are recommended!

If you want to get deeply into OSI protocols, I would also recommend the
book "The Open Book, A practical perspective on OSI" by Marshall T. Rose
published by Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-643016-3.

    George Harvey                  | Amiga A3000T, CyberStorm-II 040,
    email: fr30@dial.pipex.com     | Picasso-II, MFC-III, Ariadne