Subject: Re: dtom gone from ip_input.c
To: Michael C. Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/08/1997 11:39:58
On Mon, 08 Sep 1997 14:18:23 -0400
 "Michael C. Richardson" <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:

 >   I'm not sure who did this change. I know why (dtom is a ugly pox!),
 > but I'm wondering if this is towards some bigger change.

The original patches to eliminate dtom() from the networking code
were submitted by Koji Imada, and were integrated by me.  I later went
through and finished the purge, removing all traces of dtom() from the
system (it was also used in the unix domain socket code).

The Greater Change is to be able to actually use external mbuf storage,
for e.g. DMA buffer loanout from high-performance network interface
drivers.

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 415 604 0935