Subject: mb_map full?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/17/1997 21:44:56
I am getting this message (and the lockup associated) on my home machine.
I really think I am getting it too often...  I am not really putting
the machine through its paces enough to make me think it should be
using 256 pages for network mbufs:

317 mbufs in use:
        315 mbufs allocated to data
        2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
256/256 mapped pages in use
551 Kbytes allocated to network (100% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
6403 calls to protocol drain routines

This is on the following setup:

Lockup #1:
	Running X, with one ssh session to a remote host, with emacs
	displayed from that machine (X forwarding).  Also, NFS to another
	local machine.  That machine is also the ppp machine for my home
	systems.

Lockup #2:
	Running X, with no ssh sessions, but just started Netscape.

In the first case, I don't know how long the machine was up.  In the second,
it was up for no more than 8 hours, and without much load at all.

Here is the output of netstat -m from the system right now, with an
emacs-over-ssh connection and a netscape running:

37 mbufs in use:
        35 mbufs allocated to data
        2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
32/56 mapped pages in use
116 Kbytes allocated to network (58% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

--Michael