Subject: None
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/26/1997 02:13:12
Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de> writes:

>Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
>   I'd be OK with moving PPP link-level state control and per-protocol
>   control into userspace.  (If the link is up and not changing state,

>use the source, Lu^H^HJonathan, and Jason, and whoever started the
>thread. It's already done this way.  The ppp line discipline handles

I goofed, I've been told three times already.  No need to waste more bandwidth.

I think the person starting the thread acuatlly *did* want to move
compression and data-transfer to userspace.  Which you're also
against, yes?

>The only stuff you need in-kernel (or lkm'd, eventually) are the
>compression protocols and the data transfer protocols used (but only
>data compression part, not the negotiation part/state machine).

Actually, according to Paul Mackerras, a small part of the CCP state
*is* in the kernel, and gets handled there, because receiving  such
a packet should affects  how the next output packet is handled.