Subject: Setting the default port on ethernet cards
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@arresum.inka.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/1997 20:10:16
Hi,

some ethernet cards have a eeprom which contains the default media port.
I think of the driver for the 3com which reads this register from the
eeprom and use it as the default port.
It would be good to change the default port in the eeprom with a new
ifconfig keyword. That would remove the #ifdef EP_COAX_DEFAULT from
the ep driver and you don't need to use the DOS programm to set the
default port.

It shouldn't be changed with the existing media keyword, because that
would write it everytime you use it.

This means that we need to add a new ioctl to our ifmedia interface and
also talk with the bsdi guys so they can add this to there interface.

Any comments about that are welcome.

Bernd