Subject: Re: Perceived need: new IFF_ flag
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Marc Horowitz <marc@cygnus.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/02/1997 12:02:14
der Mouse  <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> writes:

>> So...any comments on the notion?  I'll probably add such a flag for my
>> own use, but still would be curious to hear any remarks y'all may have.

Why not generalize this, and allow individual stacks to be added and
removed from interfaces?  You would simply remove all of them.  This
isn't of much use now, but when ipv4 and ipv6 are both in the kernel,
it could be useful.  It would also provide a mechanism for
non-protocol-specific operations (like bridging), and perhaps a
cleaner way to implement protocols like DHCP, which now use bpf, which
is somewhat of a kludge.

		Marc