Subject: Re: ATM NIC support
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/27/1997 11:19:53
In article <199702271110.MAA27033@horn.ics.muni.cz> of port-i386,
salvet@ics.muni.cz you wrote:
> I am very satisfied with performance, only wish to have ATMARP support.

Does Ignatious' ARP work help at all for this, or is ATMARP something
very different (I'm fairly ignorant about ATM)?

On a vaugely related question, one of Ignatious' commit messages
mentioned something to the effect that while the new arp code supports
other-than-ethernet link address lengths, it doesn't support variable
lengths.  Are there really any link-level protocols with variable-length
addresses? (And have the perpetrators been brought to justice? :->)

Does the new arp code handle non-byte-multiple link adresses? Are there
any real world examples of such?

What are the largest and smallest link address sizes? Anything larger
than 64bit? 128bit?

(The latter two questions come from rereading the SANA-II specs
recently. It takes pains to accomodate non-byte-multiple LLA's,
doesn't seem to acknowledge the existance of variable-length LLA's if
there do in fact exist such, and uses a 128 bit field for storing LLA's
in IO request messages).