Subject: Re: Q's from localtalk efforts
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/20/1997 10:06:15

> The RFC on AppleTalk Control Protocol (ATCP) for PPP is incomplete. It lays
> out basic packet formats, but does not discuss related issues that must be
> dealt with for a successful implementation.

[problems w/ Appletalk over a slow link]

> To top it all off, Apple itself is in the process of doing an AppleTalk
> over PPP implementation - one that can be reasonably expected to set the
> standards in this area. However, they have (to my knowledge) not released
> any code or docs yet. So, any implementation that the NetBSD community does
> will likely have to be changed for compatability (unless we guess right)
> when Apple releases its software.
>
> Tread carefully.

That's kinda why it was a question for the future. ;-)

I guess we'll have to wait. Though given how netatalk works (keeping
just ddp in the kernel), I'm wondering if most of these problems will
be fixed in netatalk's userland code, not in the kernel bits.  Thus
though usefull ppp will have to wait, atalk-ppp in the kernel won't
necessarily have to wait. though it'll be a while before I can try it.
:-)

Take care,

Bill