Subject: Re: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: Matt Thomas <thomas@lkg.dec.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/10/1997 11:25:11
Matt Thomas writes:
> Another idea is to allow non-prived processes to open routing sockets
> but only allow if_msg's to delivered to them.  sending would be prohibited.
> This would give interfaces up/down status as well as addresses.

BTW, it would be nice, in general, to allow non-prived processes to
open routing sockets so route(8) could be non-prived. No, I don't mean
non-prived processes should be allowed to change anything, but there
is no reason not to let them read the kernel routing table stuff, and
it would let us get rid of another suid program.

Perry