Subject: Re: DHCP client, integration with ifconfig, etc.
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Christian Kuhtz <kuhtz@ix.netcom.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/08/1997 21:48:00
On Sat, 08 Feb 1997 11:13:19 -0500, Michael Richardson
<mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> wrote:
> Okay, but there are some applications (e.g. bind) that need to be
> notified when addresses change. I do not know if there is any proposed
> API for doing this. It would be very nice to have one... and I think
> others would adopt whatever we proposed.

Wait a second here.  Why are you guys even talking about runtime DHCP IP
reconfiguration of a client?  That's a giant can of worms for anything but
really dumb clients.

RFC 1531          Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol       October 1993

3.6 When clients should use DHCP

   A host should use DHCP to reacquire or verify its IP address and
   network parameters whenever the local network parameters may have
   changed; e.g., at system boot time or after a disconnection from the
   local network, as the local network configuration may change without
   the host's or user's knowledge.

   If a host has knowledge of a previous network address and is unable
   to contact a local DHCP server, the host may continue to use the
   previous network address until the lease for that address expires.
   If the lease expires before the host can contact a DHCP server, the
   host must immediately discontinue use of the previous network address
   and may inform local users of the problem.

Please clarify.

Regards,
--
Christian Kuhtz <chk@gnu.ai.mit.edu> (personal)    <ckuhtz@paranet.com> (work)