Subject: Re: proposed kernel change for IP_HDRINCL
To: Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
From: Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/20/1996 23:28:53
Hi,

Bill Fenner wrote:

>In message <QAA01789.199610182022@arrow.va.pubnix.com> you write:
>>Currently, when using setsockopt() with the IP_HDRINCL flag, most
>>fields of the IP header are passed into the kernel in network byte
>>order, except for the ip_off and ip_len fields.
>
>I think that there should be a standard macro defined in <netinet/ip.h>
>that says whether or not this change is in the kernel, so that people
>don't have to send themselves a packet to see whether the kernel byte
>swaps or not.

Right.

>Do you have any desire to do anything about raw_input as well?  Various
>fields are messed with on the way in, too.

IMHO, a raw packet should be a _raw_ packet. That means that the kernel
shouldn't fiddle with _anything_.

FWIW, Linux does things the "really raw" way, too; thus, programs which
rely on these things already have the required patches, these days.

--
Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
                       -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy,