Subject: Re: The future of ATM
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Steve M. Acheson <sma@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/11/1996 11:06:13
Just a couple of nits to point out...

Jason <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> points out:
> In terms of really high performance LAN connectivity, Hippi-6400 is going
> to be a clear winner, and will, if the companies can keep their promises,
> be available 1Q97.  Hippi-6400 provides 6400 Mb/sec, and has solved
> the switch/bus contention issues associated with Hippi-800.

I believe that the switches will not be avail until after 1Q98.  The 97
timeframe was the sumac and shac chips that switch vendors will need and
perhaps the first host interfaces from SGI.  They already have working
prototypes...

> The Hippi-6400 switches will also bridge to Ethernet.

Probably misleading here, I think.  The standard for Hippi-6400 will allow the
switches to have the capability of "bridging" between ether/fddi types of
media.
Probably only the Gigabit Ether will be a viable plug in (although with demand
fddi and 100baseT might become available). It will depend on the switch
vendors.

Just thought I'd throw in my $.02

Steve
Steve Acheson                         415-604-4495
Sterling Software                     sma@nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames
Moffett Field, Ca 94035-1000