Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/02/1996 08:14:20
>On Oct 2,  3:08am, Christoph Badura wrote:
>> Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
>
>Acutally, IRIX does it the following way:
>This is really nice.
>
>Actually, I'd vote for the IRIX way.  It's easy to implement (yes,
>that's an offer to do so).  And, more importantly, having to hack a
>monolithic /etc/rc.conf from a package installation script isn't
>fundamentally different from having to hack a monolithic /etc/rc
>script.

The monolithic /etc/rc concept has always seemed daunting, ugly, and error
prone, IMHO.  It seemed to me that /etc/init.d decouples separate init
tasks and add configurational flexibility.

I second the vote for /etc/init.d (but I'm also a long time IRIX admin).  I
would also be willing to (help) implement if it would likely be accepted
into the release code.

	- Scott Presnell (srp@zgi.com)