Subject: Re: proposal on /etc/rc rework
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Christoph Badura <bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/02/1996 03:30:00
Chris Demetriou writes:

> [Lots of good arguments not to do startup script dependency
> calculations and ordering at boot time.]

It seems to me that the easiest and safest way to fix this -- at least
for now -- is to have a tool calculate the proper order and record it
somewhere for /etc/rc.  That somewhere could be a file listing the
startup scripts to be invoked or it could generate a unique number and
do the linking to /etc/rc.d.  I'd actually prefer the latter.

The big problem with SYSV-style startup scripts is that the system
doesn't provide a way to automatically figure out the right filename
that the link in /etc/rc.d has to have _at package installation time_.
It seems to me that that problem should be fixed at package
installation time and not at boot time.

Why is this on tech-net, anyway?
--
Christoph Badura	bad@flatlin.ka.sub.org

You don't need to quote my .signature.  Everyone has seen it by now.
Besides, it doesn't add anything to the current thread.