Subject: Re: Retrieval of interface stats
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/31/1996 16:34:30
>> Briefly, what you want is the SIOCGIFCONF ioctl.

> Well, an ifreq structure (pointed to by an ifconf, for example),
> won't tell you all of the information hidden withing an ifnet.  To
> get the if_data structure, you need to get the ifnet as a whole.

Well, yeah, some information (that ifconfig doesn't print) can't be
obtained except via kmem.  I suppose that when the original poster
said...

	Basically, the same information as provided by the "ifconfig"
	command (e.g., if_name, if_mtu etc.).

...that I took this to mean that what was wanted was a programmatic API
to information that could be obtained, in case of desperation, by
forking ifconfig.

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu
		    01 EE 31 F6 BB 0C 34 36  00 F3 7C 5A C1 A0 67 1D