Subject: Re: ifconfig or ??
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/28/1996 07:45:18
>> That is a lot of variation and ifconfig's link0, link1, link2 is
>> just not enough anymore.
> Well, we've had not unreasonable service from a hack made of unused
> bits that were already there :-)

:-)  I recently wanted to add an IFF_ bit, to say "don't forward
packets out this interface".  I had to grow the flags field from a
short to an int...easy enough, but it meant recompiling everything.
(The original project is being treated other ways, since the way the
routing table is kept makes it hell to try to implement skipping routes
that point to don't-forward-out interfaces; it'd be easier to maintain
two routing tables, one for forwarding and one for locally generated
packets.  Perhaps another day.)

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu