Subject: Re: dev/ic/am7990.c
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/10/1996 13:32:51
On Fri, 10 May 96 13:17:20 EDT
 "Gordon W. Ross" <gwr@mc.com> wrote:

 > Hi Jason,

Hi Gordon.  :-)

 > In the file dev/ic/am7990.c  your comment asks:
 > /* XXX what do we do about this?!  --thorpej */
 >
 > I'm pretty sure the following code will work on any machine
 > (even the sparc) because the memory addresses passed to this
 > are always aligned to at least a 2-byte boundary.  Therefore,
 > we could just enable it for all machines.  Alternatively, we
 > could make this a real MD function like oc_cksum() and such,
 > but I think using an inline like this will be faster.

Yah, I'd like to have an inline ... What I could do, is enable that code
and give it a whirl on my DEC 3000/400 ... if it works on the Alpha, it
will probably work everywhere :-)

I was mostly being conservative, hoping to get comments from others.

So, this afternoon, I'll try it at least on my Alpha, and on my sparc if
I have time.

----save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/----