Subject: Experience with John Kohl's swIPe port on NetBSD RISC machines?
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG, tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/18/1996 12:08:56
hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience -- positive or negative --
with swIPe on NetBSD, particularly on machines that don't
allow non-aligned accesses?

I've tried putting jtk's port of Ioannidis' Usenix swIPe distribution
into NetBSD-1.1B/sparc, and it causes kernel panics as soon as I try to
tunnel a packet.

The SunOS swIPe code works on the same hardware.  I'm wondreing if
this is perhaps an alignment bug that's showing up due to different
mbuf alignment (SunOS doesn't have the M_PKT and associated header
goop.)

I'm assuming that this  swIPe code actually _does_ work on a NetBSD
1.1 kernel on an x86 machine.  I'd appreciate hearing either positive
or negative confirmation of that, too.

thanks
--Jonathan Stone