Subject: add code for PPP-Deflate?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.ORG, core@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Mackerras <paulus@cs.anu.edu.au>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/08/1996 17:05:38
I have some changes ready to commit to update the PPP stuff, which
include an implementation of PPP "Deflate" compression.  This
compresses PPP packets using a similar scheme to gzip.  It achieves
better compression than the LZW scheme used by the "BSD-Compress"
compressor which is in there already, and has no patent problems.

The downside is that it adds about 5000 lines of code.  Basically I
have taken the zlib-0.95 distribution and folded all the files I
needed into two: zlib.h and zlib.c, which I am intending to put in
/usr/src/sys/net.  (Should they go in lib/libkern instead?)

Does anyone object to me adding this stuff in?

Paul Mackerras.