Subject: NC2000 problems...
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG, tech-net@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Van Tilburg <ctilburg@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/23/1995 16:25:41
The NC2000 card is supposed to be 100% compatible with the NE2000 and under
NetBSD 1.0A works perfectly... as a matter of fact, it works perfectly no
matter which IRQ it is set to or what you tell the kernel config (true or
false).  Under windows using the crynwr packet drivers, I get huge delays
to get anything from the network.

I realize this is not a netbsd problem, but I was hoping that some kind
soul could explain any or all of the following observations:

	a) the NC2000 card is supposed to be able to be set to one of
		four port addresses: 300, 320, 340, and 360.  The only
		ones of which its own test program recognize are 300 and
		360.

	b) the NC2000 card is supposed to be able to be set to one of
		four IRQ lines: 3, 4, 5, and 2/9.  The only ones of which
		its own test program recognizes are 3 and 2/9.

	c) the Ansel communications 1-800 number cannot be called from
		my location; area code 216.

	d) the direct Ansel communications phone number rings and rings...
		no answer.

This card is supposed to be 100% hardware and software compatible with
the NE2000 and is supposedly novell certified.  So, why does it work
with NetBSD and not DOS/Windows?  Why does the IRQ not matter under
NetBSD?  Why can the card ignore its DIP switches?  Why doesn't Ansel
answer?

HELP!
chuck
Charles C. Van Tilburg				ctilburg@cs.oberlin.edu
Computer Systems Technician
Computer Science Program			216-775-8077/8064/0504 -->
Oberlin College		 				office(morning)/
131 Severance Hall					office(afternoon)/
Oberlin, Ohio, 44074					home.