Subject: Re: mbr can't open /boot on RaidFrame
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 02/09/2006 10:19:00
--------------enigBA34499A4C33EFEF29DD09E3

Marcin Jessa wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:59:52 -0800
> Jeff Rizzo <riz@NetBSD.org> wrote:
>
>  =20
>> Marcin Jessa wrote:
>>    =20
>>> I've four aditional questions:
>>> 1. Can raid partition have softdep on?
>>>  =20
>> yes
>>    =20
>
> Will this put the file system on RAID 1 disks in more risk if the compu=
ter gets=20
> suddenly shot off (power loss, damaged power supply) ?
>
>  =20

People have varying levels of success with softdep.  I haven't had a
serious problem with it in quite some time, but others tell a different
story.  YMMV.
>>> 2. Can I use FFSv2 instead of FFSv1 creating file systems on the raid=
 devices?
>>>  =20
>>>      =20
>> yes
>>    =20
>
> Why http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html#chap-rf-setup-filesyste=
ms
> tells to use FFSv1 instead of FFSv2 ? Is FFSv2 experimental/unstable/sl=
ower/xyz than FFSv1 ?
>  =20

FFSv2 has larger inodes, and can support larger filesystems.  It also
does some things faster (like newfs).  It won't be compatible with some
systems' boot ROMs that expect ffsv1, though.

+j