Subject: Re: mbr can't open /boot on RaidFrame
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
List: tech-misc
Date: 02/09/2006 16:41:37
On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:07:51 +1100
Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Marcin Jessa wrote:
>
> > Hi guys.
> >
> > I created Raid 1 with RaidFrame on two SATA drives by first installing NetBSD on one of them,
> > creating raid on the other with fake device, booting off the second drive, syncing both the drives
> > and again installing MBR on the first drive - wd0 following this HowTo:
> > http://users.piuha.net/martti/comp/raid/raid.html
> > Now the MBR says at boot:
> > Boot failed (errno 2): Can't open /boot.
> >
> > Any idea what may be wrong and how to fix it ?
>
> Make sure you have a /boot in your root filesystem.  If you
> "mount /dev/raid0a /mnt", do you see a /mnt/boot ?  If not,
> copy the one from /usr/mdec or /mnt/usr/mdec to /mnt.

Thanks. I repeaded the process and it worked.
This time I booted off my wd1 before syncing the disks.
I think my wd1 was synced with wd0 which was empty after
first reboot when I booted off wd0.

I've four aditional questions:
1. Can raid partition have softdep on?
2. Can I use FFSv2 instead of FFSv1 creating file systems on the raid devices?
3. Can I safely use XEN on RAID 1 drives?
4. How stable would tmpfs be mounted as file system on raid device ?

Thanks in advance
Marcin.